Popular houseplants that can be toxic for cats and dogs by Adele Rae Florists
Dieffenbachia: We have to be careful with this popular houseplant as it can cause mouth and throat irritation if ingested by pets. Philodendron: Many varieties of the philodendron plants are toxic to cats and dogs, if ingested it can cause symptoms such as vomiting, difficulty breathing, and even tremors. Sago palm: This is a very dangerous palm for cats and dogs, is extremely toxic, and ingesting even a small amount can cause liver failure. Peace lily: Who doesn’t loves this plant, the flowers are so pretty, but we need to be careful and avoid that our pets eats the The leaves or the flowers as this can cause stomach upset and mouth irritation in our pets. English ivy: Ingesting this plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing in pets. Caladium: if our pets chew these colourful plants it can cause mouth swallowing, extreme irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling in our pets. Alocasia: Also known as “Elephant Ear”, the plant can cause symptoms like drooling,mouth irritation, swelling and even vomiting and diarrhea. Dracaena: Many varieties of dracaena plants are toxic to pets, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and stomach irritation. Pothos: Commonly known as “Devil Ivy”, it can cause mouth and throat irritation, difficulty swallowing, drooling, and vomiting in pets. Aloe vera: While this plant is well known for its healing properties, it can cause tremors and changes in urine color if ingested by your pet.
Houseplants can be a great addition to any space, and they are a wonderful gift idea, however it's important to do your research before making a purchase in case you or the person you are sending the plant has pets in their home, it's crucial to make sure that the plant you choose is not toxic to them. If you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant, or if you notice any of these symptoms, like excessive drooling, disorientation, constant vomiting, or diarrhea, contact your veterinarian immediately.